The Traffic Behaviour of the City of Brno and the Brno Metropolitan Area

At the turn of the years 2016 and 2017 there was done a huge sociological survey called “The Traffic Behaviour of the City of Brno and the Brno Metropolitan Area”. The randomly selected inhabitants of Brno and the Brno Metropolitan Area (BMA) participated in representative sociological research to find out their transport behaviour, e.g. how they travel during the week and the weekend, what are the purposes of their journey and how they are satisfied with the conditions for each transport mode. The survey was also focused on the modal split. The researches were also interested in what would persuade people to change the way of transportation (e.g. less car transportation on behalf of public transport, cycling and walking). Total of 2 436 respondents over 15 years of age, of which 1 301 were from Brno and 1 135 were from other municipalities (from Brno background), were questioned. The sample was representative in terms of gender, age and size of city district (in the case of Brno) or the size of the municipality in the case of Brno background.
It turned out that the inhabitants of Brno use more public transport than the inhabitants of Brno background, both during working days and weekend. Almost two-thirds of respondents (63%) are satisfied with the quality of public transport in Brno. More than half of respondents would use public transport more often in case of its improvement, more than a quarter of respondents would not use it at all. The respondents also stated the cheaper the tickets got the more they would use the public transport. It was also identified a need for more frequented connections and their better traceability. The frequency of walking transport mode is rising during the weekend and is the same in the whole BMA, including Brno inhabitants. Walking is perceived as a healthy and economical, but slow way of traveling. The problem is mainly its small security, especially during the night time. Walking in Brno is mainly connected to reaching the closest public transport stop. Cycling mode is represented very little among all residents of the BMA, including Brno. Cycling is clearly perceived as a seasonal type of transport and the bicycle serves primarily for recreational or sport purposes. 49% of the respondents from Brno do not use bicycle at all. The remaining part (51%) of the inhabitants of Brno use bicycle (especially for recreation not for a transport). Only 8% of Brno’s population is cycling during the whole year (compared to 14% of the population of Brno background). In the field of individual car transport mode the research results show that most people in Brno use the car in everyday life – people use the car either as a driver (51%) or as a co-driver (40%). Residents of the Brno background use more the car as a drivers (61%) and less as a co-drivers (30%). During the weekends there is a rise of car sharing (family rides).

We have prepared a short presentation tool (application) from the selected results with a focus on the territorial aspect (in Czech only).